Friday, October 8, 2010

sew it up: a headband and a coffee sleeve

Hey party people! Earlier this week, I asked for ideas on what to sew and sell. You can still make some suggestions - at the end of the weekend I'm picking a random commenter [who has a blog] to feature next week! Bribery? Youbetcha :)

So far, there have been some really good suggestions. See why I love you all so much? I've been cranking out a few things here and there, so let's take a looksie...

I need a little girl STAT so I can make a bagillion of these headbands and make her wear them every.single.day. Precious, I tell you!

This next one I absolutely LOVE. Corrie made this suggestion and it's such a good one: resuable coffee sleeves! A] they're green and B] they are too cute for words.

I mean seriously, who wouldn't want one of these to throw in their purse? It makes your Starbucks habit seem a little more responsible :)


First things first, make your template. I saw a coffee sleeve online and just kind of eyeballed it. I think I'm going to need a real one to make my next template, but this worked for now. Cut a piece of felt to the size of the template.


Next, cut two pieces of the outer fabric and two pieces of the inner fabric, about 1/4 inch bigger than the template [I used my felt as the guide]. Stack the fabric like this: 1 piece of inner fabric [front side up], 1 piece of outer fabric [back side up], felt. Got it? Do the same thing with the other pieces.


Sew along the edges, leaving one short end open to turn inside out. I used the zig-zag stitch so the fabric would give a little and because I found it more easily grabbed the fabric and the felt that way. When you turn it inside out, do it so that the felt is on the inside [in between the two fabric pieces].


Now you sew the two pieces together. Lay the pieces so that the outer fabrics are facing each other. Sew along the short sides and turn inside out.


Voila! I don't have a coffee cup on hand to model it. Oh no, I guess I'll have to get Starbucks this weekend to test it out. Darn :)


What do you think? I already have some ideas on how to perfect the design and make it a little more functional. Stay tuned for part 2!



Sometimes I like to party....click here to see where I link!

2 comments:

  1. I love your coffee cup holder! It's cute and functional! Both are things I appreciate. Thanks for sharing!

    Lauren
    http://31diy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are definitely becoming "all the rage" at the crafting markets I've been to! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading what you have to say! Thanks for taking the time to say it :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails