Monday, August 9, 2010

weekend recap: thrifty findings

This beautiful little southern town we've recently found ourselves in is crawling with thrift and antique stores. I love it. Our Saturday morning has turned into this: breakfast, coffee-to-go, the farmer's market and thrifting. We'll do a quick run [not literally, let's be honest] through the neighborhood looking for any yard sales and then we'll busy ourselves with chores around the house. Or just opt to enjoy the sunshine in downtown Charleston [Chaaaaalston]. If the Navy owns my husband for 60+ hours during the work week, it just means we have more reason to play hard on the weekend. Right? Right.

So what's better than thrifting? Thrifting in a store that's going out of business and has everything marked 70% off. It was AMAZING. I give myself about $20 every weekend and once it's gone, it's gone. But boy did I stretch it this week :)

As a bonus, my sister-in-law was in town and I couldn't wait to introduce her to my habit hobby. And let me just tell you, she can hang with the best of them. We'd been in the store 5 minutes and she said, "Just so you know, I've already staked my claim on those [beautiful McCoy pottery] bowls and those yellow plates. So don't get any ideas." Girl after my own heart.

Here's how I racked up:

Warning: Shield your children from the picture below.
I've been looking for a chunky picture frame to turn into a tray for my soon-to-be constructed ottoman. Little did I know that the perfect frame would come with the most terrifying picture.

He's been face-down since the second I put him in the cart. I'm not kidding. He's propped up in my craft room right now, facing the wall. I can't wait to cut that creeper out.

These wooden candlesticks set me back a whopping $0.33.


Not pictured: a beautiful silk tie [never been opened] and a CD for the boy and some great glassware that I plan to use for holiday decor [yes, it's the first week of August and I'm planning for Thanksgiving/Christmas].

Now ladies, brace yourselves for the score of the century. I actually said, "Omigosh, score of the CENTURY" when I spotted this across the room:

Cue the hallelujah chorus. This picture doesn't do it justice, but it's a GORGEOUS gray wool Kate Spade tote and it's in great condition. You guys...I only paid $4.50 for it. Eeeeks!! That makes me so happy. I can't wait for the appropriate season to rock.it.out.

Also not pictured [because it's already in the garage waiting to be painted and I was too lazy to go take a picture] is an adorable old window that has the PERFECT weathered look. I'm not quite sure what I want to do with it, but I'm thinking I'll put pics behind the panes of glass and hang it in the guest bedroom. Pics like this:

That's from our stroll downtown on 4th of July weekend. Love it.

That about does it! Oh and the best part? I only spent $15 :) Hollerrrrrr.

I'm linking it up to support a fellow blogger today. This lady keeps me laughing all.the.time.

2 comments:

  1. dude! love your blog. the creepy clown pic is definitely LOL hilarious. I'll be checking you out! thank you for the link love! you are too sweet. I'll be updating my list as well later today when the kids stop screaming...ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog from pure+lovely's link party & I love your posts. I will be following you now!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading what you have to say! Thanks for taking the time to say it :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails