Friday, August 13, 2010

for a crowd: peach french toast

Raise your hand if you like to cook for a crowd. [me, me, me!!]

Raise your hand if you like to cook breakfast for a crowd. [crickets]

It seems like breakfast is never easy for a crowd. Unless you're my mountain-bred grandparents who can crank out three dozen biscuits, a plate of bacon and a vat of gravy all before the seats at the breakfast table fill up. For me, no matter what I make, it ends up getting cold and it's just yuck. Or I spend like $50 on the ingredients for a breakfast casserole. Maybe not $50, but bacon and sausage aren't cheap!! I made this french toast bake for The Boy's birthday breakfast this year and it was a hit. This is seriously the most yummy, convenient, good-for-a-table-full-of-hungries I've ever come across. You have to prepare it the night before, but it makes the morning that much less hectic [and more tasty]:

Ingredients [yields 8 pieces]
8 slices of french bread, about 1/2 inch thick
6 eggs
A splash of milk
3 cups sliced peaches [fresh or frozen]
5 tablespoons brown sugar
Cinnamon
  • Layer the bread in a greased baking dish.
  • Mix eggs, milk and pour over the bread.
  • Top with peaches and then sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon [to your liking].
  • Cover and place in the fridge over night, so the bread gets all soaked and the cinnamon/sugar begin to carmelize. Yummmm.
  • The next morning, just bake at 350 degrees for about 35 minutes, or until it begins to brown.

Oh my goodness. Doesn't that look deeeeelish?? And it's perfect for this time of year...with fresh peaches, are you kidding me? We like to top ours with yogurt and a drizzle of local honey...

Go make it. Now. You won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading what you have to say! Thanks for taking the time to say it :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails